Monday, May 14, 2012

day 7

Sunday, May 13th

Today we woke up bright and early to head to Vũng Tàu, which is a coastal city south of Ho Chi Minh. We took a boat down the Saigon River to get there (which was bigger than I expected - the inside looked almost like an airplane, and we were in an enclosed area with windows). First, we went to the beach. We played a few games - one in which groups of two had their legs tied like in a three legged race, with balloons on each leg, and the goal was to pop the other team's balloons. It was fun, but the tie really hurt my ankle! Next, we were split into two teams, competing for who could collect the most ocean water in a soda bottle. After that, we linked together and had to race for which team could get everyone across a line that was about twenty feet away first. As we were playing all the games, a local news station was taking pictures of us making fools of ourselves. I'm not used to all the stares we get, and I hope that none of the pictures are too unflattering! But I guess it doesn't really matter, since likely no one I know will ever see them. After the games, we were free to hang out on the beach, so we went swimming. The water was so warm, especially since I am used to the Jersey shore! Also there was no seaweed, which made me extremely happy because I hate feeling like I'm swimming in salad.

Next, we ate lunch at a seafood restaurant. I'm not a big fan of seafood other than salmon and shrimp, so I just ate rice. This was a bad idea, because I was still very hungry, and next on the agenda was climbing to Jesus! (There is a big statue of Jesus in  Vũng Tàu). We had to climb a bunch of steps to get there, and I had to keep taking breaks because I kept feeling faint, and water was making me feel worse since I had so little food in my stomach. When we finally reached Jesus, the breeze was very nice, and the view was amazing. The climb down was much easier.

After we got back to the hotel, we all showered off, since it had been so hot and we were all wearing sunscreen. Then we went to the Black Cat for dinner, a restaurant which serves more American food. I had a hamburger and fries for the first time in a while! My stomach definitely likes rice better though.

Overall, it was a very fun day!


Taking a break on the way up to Jesus...

Almost there....


Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment